jueves, 24 de septiembre de 2026

CONDITIONALS: PART 2

 


CONDITIONALS: ZERO, FIRST AND SECOND CONDITIONAL

SECOND PART

ACTIVITY 2 – COMPLETE THE SENTENCES

SECOND CONDITIONAL

9.  If you __________ (live) anywhere in the world, where __________ you __________ (live)?

10.              If she __________ (be) rich, she __________ (buy) a big house.

11.              If we __________ (have) more time, we __________ (visit) another country.

12.              If I __________ (be) you, I __________ (talk) to the teacher.

 

ACTIVITY 3 – CHOOSE THE CORRECT OPTION

Choose the correct answer.

1.  If you heat water, it __________.
a) will boil
b) boils
c) would boil

2.  If I study tonight, I __________ the exam.
a) pass
b) would pass
c) will pass

3.  If I had more money, I __________ a new computer.
a) buy
b) will buy
c) would buy

4.  If people don't sleep enough, they __________ tired.
a) feel
b) will feel
c) would feel

5.  If it rains tomorrow, we __________ at home.
a) stay
b) will stay
c) would stay

6.  If I were invisible, I __________ anywhere.
a) will go
b) went
c) would go

7.  If you mix yellow and blue, you __________ green.
a) get
b) will get
c) would get

8.  If she studies hard, she __________ good grades.
a) gets
b) will get
c) would get

 

ACTIVITY 4 – MATCH THE HALVES

Match the beginning of each sentence with the correct ending.

A

1.  If you don't drink water,

2.  If I finish my homework early,

3.  If I had a lot of money,

4.  If you heat ice,

5.  If she studies for the test,

6.  If I were invisible,

7.  If people eat too much,

8.  If we leave late,

B

a. I would travel around the world.

b. it melts.

c. they can feel sick.

d. I will watch a movie.

e. she will get a good grade.

f. I would visit interesting places without being seen.

g. you become thirsty.

h. we will arrive late.

 

ACTIVITY 5 – ZERO, FIRST OR SECOND?

Read each situation and complete the sentence using the correct conditional.

1.  This is a general fact:

If you don't water plants, they __________________________.

2.  This is a possible situation tomorrow:

If I have enough time tomorrow, I __________________________.

3.  This is an imaginary situation:

If I could fly, I __________________________.

4.  This is a general truth:

If people exercise regularly, they __________________________.

5.  This is a possible future situation:

If she studies tonight, she __________________________.

6.  This is an unlikely or imaginary situation:

If I lived on another planet, I __________________________.

 

ACTIVITY 6 – CORRECT THE MISTAKES

Each sentence has a mistake. Rewrite it correctly.

1.  If you heat water, it will boils.

 

2.  If I will study, I will pass the exam.

 

3.  If I had more money, I will travel more.

 

4.  If people don't eat, they will get hungry.

 

5.  If I were rich, I will buy a big house.

 

6.  If it will rain tomorrow, we will stay home.

 

 

ACTIVITY 7 – CREATE YOUR OWN CONDITIONALS

Write your own sentences.

ZERO CONDITIONAL

Write 2 sentences about general truths, facts or things that usually happen.

1.  If ________________________________________________

2.  If ________________________________________________

FIRST CONDITIONAL

Write 2 sentences about possible future situations.

3.  If ________________________________________________

4.  If ________________________________________________

SECOND CONDITIONAL

Write 2 sentences about imaginary or unlikely situations.

5.  If ________________________________________________

6.  If ________________________________________________

 

ACTIVITY 8 – COMPLETE WITH YOUR IDEAS

Complete the sentences with your own ideas.

1.  If I don't sleep enough, ______________________________.

2.  If I study hard this week, ______________________________.

3.  If I had a million dollars, ______________________________.

4.  If it rains tomorrow, ______________________________.

5.  If I were invisible, ______________________________.

6.  If people don't eat healthy food, ______________________________.

 

ACTIVITY 9 – CONDITIONAL CHALLENGE

Identify the conditional and explain why it is used.

Example:

If I were rich, I would travel the world.

Conditional: Second Conditional
Why? Because it describes an imaginary or hypothetical situation.

Now complete:

1.  If you heat metal, it expands.

Conditional: __________________________

Why? ______________________________________________

2.  If I finish my project today, I will go out with my friends.

Conditional: __________________________

Why? ______________________________________________

3.  If I had a superpower, I would choose to fly.

Conditional: __________________________

Why? ______________________________________________

4.  If you don't charge your phone, the battery dies.

Conditional: __________________________

Why? ______________________________________________

5.  If she studies hard, she will pass the test.

Conditional: __________________________

Why? ______________________________________________

ACTIVITY 10 – SPEAKING PRACTICE

Work with a partner. Ask and answer the questions.

ZERO CONDITIONAL

1.  What happens if you don't sleep enough?

2.  What happens if you don't eat breakfast?

3.  What happens if you study a lot?

FIRST CONDITIONAL

4.  What will you do if you have free time this weekend?

5.  What will you do if it rains tomorrow?

6.  What will happen if you don't study for your next exam?

SECOND CONDITIONAL

7.  What would you do if you won a million dollars?

8.  Where would you travel if you could visit any country?

9.  What would you buy if you had unlimited money?

10.              What would you do if you could have one superpower?

 

FINAL CHALLENGE

Complete the three sentences using the same idea but a different conditional.

Example: STUDY

ZERO: If I study, I learn new things.

FIRST: If I study tonight, I will pass the test.

SECOND: If I studied every day, I would get better grades.

Now use these topics:

1. EAT HEALTHY

ZERO: If __________________________________________

FIRST: If __________________________________________

SECOND: If ________________________________________

2. TRAVEL

ZERO: If __________________________________________

FIRST: If __________________________________________

SECOND: If ________________________________________

3. EXERCISE

ZERO: If __________________________________________

FIRST: If __________________________________________

SECOND: If ________________________________________

REMEMBER!

ZERO CONDITIONAL

IF + PRESENT SIMPLE → PRESENT SIMPLE

Used for facts and general truths.

Example:
If you don't water plants, they die.

 

FIRST CONDITIONAL

IF + PRESENT SIMPLE → WILL + BASE VERB

Used for real or possible future situations.

Example:
If I study, I will pass the exam.

SECOND CONDITIONAL

IF + PAST SIMPLE → WOULD + BASE VERB

Used for imaginary, hypothetical or unlikely situations.

Example:
If I had more money, I would travel more.

EASY WAY TO REMEMBER:

ZERO = ALWAYS / GENERALLY

FIRST = POSSIBLE

SECOND = IMAGINARY