jueves, 6 de agosto de 2026

CAN/CAN'T

 




CAN / CAN'T

What do "can" and "can't" mean?

We use can to talk about abilities (things we are able to do).

Structure:

 Affirmative

Subject + can + base verb

Examples:

  • I can swim.

  • She can play the piano.

  • They can speak English.

 Negative

Subject + can't + base verb

Examples:

  • I can't drive.

  • He can't cook.

  • We can't fly.


Questions

Can + subject + base verb?

Examples:

  • Can you dance?

  • Can she ride a bike?

  • Can they play soccer?

Short answers

  • Yes, I can.

  • No, I can't.

Exercise 1 – Complete with CAN or CAN'T

  1. Birds __________ fly.

  2. Fish __________ walk.

  3. I __________ speak English.

  4. A baby __________ drive a car.

  5. We __________ study at school.

  6. My grandmother __________ use a smartphone.

  7. Tigers __________ climb.

  8. Penguins __________ fly.

  9. Students __________ ask questions.

  10. A cat __________ swim very well.

Exercise 2 – Complete the sentences

Use the correct form of the verb in parentheses.

  1. She can __________ (dance).

  2. My brother can't __________ (cook).

  3. We can __________ (play) volleyball.

  4. I can't __________ (drive) a bus.

  5. They can __________ (sing) very well.

  6. You can't __________ (eat) in the library.

  7. My father can __________ (fix) computers.

  8. The baby can't __________ (read).

  9. I can __________ (ride) a bicycle.

  10. Our teacher can __________ (speak) two languages.

Exercise 3 – Write CAN or CAN'T

  1. Lions __________ swim.

  2. Dolphins __________ jump.

  3. Snakes __________ fly.

  4. Monkeys __________ climb trees.

  5. Elephants __________ fly.

  6. Kangaroos __________ jump high.

  7. Cows __________ write.

  8. Eagles __________ fly.

  9. Dogs __________ bark.

  10. Chickens __________ drive cars.

Exercise 4 – Make Questions

Put the words in the correct order.

  1. can / swim / you / ?

  1. speak / can / English / she / ?

  1. can / your father / cook / ?

  1. ride / bike / can / they / a / ?

  1. can / dance / Maria / ?

  1. can / play / soccer / we / ?

  1. can / sing / he / ?

  1. can / your friends / draw / ?

  1. can / use / a computer / you / ?

  1. can / the baby / walk / ?

Exercise 5 – Answer the Questions

Answer with Yes, I can. or No, I can't.

  1. Can you swim?

  1. Can you ride a bike?

  1. Can you cook?

  1. Can you speak English?

  1. Can you dance?

  1. Can you play soccer?

  1. Can you use a computer?


  1. Can you play the guitar?

  1. Can you draw well?

  1. Can you skate?

Exercise 6 – Complete with Your Own Ideas

  1. I can _______________________________________.

  2. I can't ______________________________________.

  3. My best friend can ____________________________.

  4. My teacher can _______________________________.

  5. My parents can _______________________________.

  6. My pet can't _________________________________.

  7. Birds can ___________________________________.

  8. Fish can't __________________________________.

  9. My classmates can ____________________________.

  10. I want to learn how to ________________________.

Vocabulary Bank

  • swim

  • dance

  • sing

  • cook

  • read

  • write

  • draw

  • ride a bike

  • play soccer

  • play the guitar

  • drive

  • speak English

  • use a computer

  • climb

  • jump