On your notebook/ en tu cuaderno
July 22nd, 2026
The Verb To Be (Am – Is –
Are)
THE
VERB TO BE
EL VERBO TO BE
The verb to be means ser or estar.
El verbo to
be significa "ser" o "estar".
We use it to talk about people, animals, objects, and feelings.
Lo usamos
para hablar de personas, animales, objetos y emociones.
Examples / Ejemplos
- I am happy. → Yo estoy feliz.
- I am a student. → Yo soy
estudiante.
- She is my teacher. → Ella es
mi profesora.
- He is tall. → Él es alto.
- It is a cat. → Es un gato.
- We are friends. → Nosotros
somos amigos.
- They are students. → Ellos
son estudiantes.
Grammar Chart / Cuadro
gramatical
|
Pronoun |
Pronombre |
Verb |
|
I |
Yo |
am |
|
You |
Tú / Usted |
are |
|
He |
Él |
is |
|
She |
Ella |
is |
|
It |
Eso (animal u objeto) |
is |
|
We |
Nosotros |
are |
|
They |
Ellos |
are |
Remember!
/ ¡Recuerda!
I → AM
Example:
- I am Karen.
- I am happy.
He – She – It → IS
Examples:
- He is tall.
- She is my friend.
- It is a dog.
You – We – They → ARE
Examples:
- You are my friend.
- We are students.
- They are happy.
Vocabulary / Vocabulario
- happy = feliz
- sad = triste
- student = estudiante
- teacher = profesor(a)
- friend = amigo(a)
- boy = niño
- girl = niña
- dog = perro
- cat = gato
- big = grande
- small = pequeño
- tall = alto
- short = bajo
Activity
1
Complete with am, is or are.
Completa con am, is o are.
1.
I ______
happy.
2.
She
______ a girl.
3.
He ______
my friend.
4.
They
______ students.
5.
We ______
classmates.
6.
It ______
a cat.
7.
You
______ nice.
8.
I ______
eight years old.
9.
He ______
tall.
10.
They
______ happy.
Activity
2
Write the
correct pronoun.
Escribe el pronombre correcto.
1.
Maria →
__________
2.
Pedro →
__________
3.
The dog →
__________
4.
The cat →
__________
5.
My
friends → __________
6.
My
teacher and I → __________
7.
The book
→ __________
8.
My mom →
__________
Activity
3
Circle
the correct answer.
Encierra la respuesta correcta.
1.
I (am / is / are)
happy.
2.
She (am / is / are)
my teacher.
3.
They (am / is / are)
friends.
4.
He (am / is / are)
tall.
5.
It (am / is / are) a
dog.
6.
We (am / is / are)
students.
7.
You (am / is / are)
kind.
8.
I (am / is / are) a
student.
Activity
4
Translate into English.
Traduce al inglés.
1.
Yo soy
estudiante.
2.
Ella está
feliz.
3.
Él es mi
amigo.
4.
Ellos son
estudiantes.
5.
Nosotros
somos amigos.
6.
Es un
perro.
Activity
5
Unscramble the sentences.
Ordena
las palabras para formar una oración correcta.
1.
happy /
am / I
2.
teacher /
is / She / a
3.
friends /
They / are
4.
tall / is
/ He
5.
cat / a /
is / It
6.
students
/ are / We
Activity 6
Write about yourself.
Escribe sobre ti.
Complete
the sentences.
- My name is ____________________________.
- I am ______ years old.
- I am a
____________________________.
- I am
____________________________.
Remember / ¡Recuerda!
- I → am
- He / She / It → is
- You / We / They → are
The verb to be means ser or estar.
El verbo to
be significa ser o estar.