jueves, 23 de julio de 2026

IMPORTANT VOCABULARY


 


July 23, 2026

ICFES ENGLISH REVIEW

Answer in English.

1. What do you usually do to prepare for an exam?

2. Which grammar topic is the most difficult for you?

3. Which skill is harder:

  • Reading
  • Vocabulary
  • Grammar
  • Inference questions

1. ESSENTIAL VOCABULARY

Education

  • assignment
  • grade
  • subject
  • exam
  • improve
  • achievement
  • scholarship
  • attend
  • graduate
  • learn

Environment

  • pollution
  • climate change
  • recycle
  • waste
  • renewable energy
  • wildlife
  • forest
  • natural resources
  • endangered species
  • protect

Technology

  • device
  • internet
  • social media
  • upload
  • download
  • password
  • website
  • online
  • artificial intelligence
  • digital

Health

  • healthy habits
  • disease
  • exercise
  • balanced diet
  • avoid
  • medicine
  • mental health
  • stress
  • sleep
  • treatment

Society

  • volunteer
  • community
  • equality
  • opportunity
  • responsibility
  • rights
  • poverty
  • education
  • respect
  • teamwork

 

Vocabulary Exercise

Complete the sentences.

1. We should __________ more plastic bottles.

2. A __________ diet helps people stay healthy.

3. Students take an __________ at the end of the semester.

4. Social __________ can be useful but addictive.

5. Everyone has the right to receive a good __________.

6. Volunteers help the __________.

7. Climate change affects the __________.

8. Students should __________ classes regularly.

9. Good __________ is important for success.

10.             We should protect endangered __________.

 

2. REVIEW

 

1. Present Simple

Use

  • routines
  • facts
  • habits

Examples

I study English every day.

She works in a hospital.

The Earth goes around the Sun.

 

2. Present Continuous

Use

  • actions happening now

Examples

I am studying.

They are preparing for the ICFES.

She is reading.

 

Exercise

Choose the correct answer.

1. She ______ every morning.

a) studies

b) is studying

2. Look! They ______ soccer.

a) play

b) are playing

3. My father ______ at a bank.

a) works

b) is working

4. Listen! Someone ______ the piano.

a) plays

b) is playing

 

3. Past Simple

Used for finished actions.

Examples

I visited Bogotá.

She watched TV.

They didn't study.

Did you call him?

 

Exercise

Complete.

1. Yesterday I ______ (go) to school.

2. They ______ (not study).

3. She ______ (eat) pizza.

4. ______ you ______ (watch) the movie?

 

4. Past Continuous

Used for actions in progress in the past.

Examples

I was sleeping.

They were studying.

 

Complete.

1. She ______ (read) when I arrived.

2. They ______ (play) soccer yesterday at 5 pm.

3. I ______ (sleep) when you called.

 

5. Future (Will)

Use

Predictions

Promises

Instant decisions

Examples

I will help you.

It will rain tomorrow.

 

Choose.

1. I think Colombia ______ win.

a) will

b) is going to

2. I forgot my notebook. I ______ borrow yours.

a) will

b) am going to

 

6. Be Going To

Plans

Intentions

Examples

I'm going to study medicine.

She's going to travel.

 

Complete.

1. We __________ visit Medellín next month.

2. He __________ buy a new phone.

 

7. Modal Verbs

Modal

Use

can

ability

could

possibility/past ability

should

advice

must

obligation

might

possibility

Examples

You should study.

Students must respect others.

It might rain.

 

Exercise

Choose the best answer.

1. You ______ wear a seatbelt.

a) can

b) should

c) must

2. I ______ swim when I was six.

a) can

b) could

c) should

3. It ______ rain later.

a) might

b) must

c) should


8. Comparatives & Superlatives

Examples

Fast → faster → the fastest

Interesting → more interesting → the most interesting

Good → better → the best

Bad → worse → the worst

 

Complete.

1. English is __________ than math.

2. Mount Everest is the __________ mountain.

3. My sister is __________ than me.

 

9. Quantifiers

some

any

much

many

few

little

a lot of

 

Choose.

1. There are ______ students.

a) much

b) many

2. Do you have ______ money?

a) some

b) any

3. I have ______ friends.

a) a lot of

b) much

 

3. READING PRACTICE

Read the text.

The Importance of Reading

Reading is one of the best ways to improve language skills. People who read regularly usually have a larger vocabulary and better writing abilities. Reading also improves imagination and critical thinking. Nowadays, many people prefer watching videos instead of reading books, but experts recommend reading at least twenty minutes every day.

 

Answer.

1. According to the text, reading helps improve

a) driving

b) vocabulary

c) sports

d) memory

2. Many people prefer

a) studying

b) reading

c) watching videos

d) exercising

3. Experts recommend reading

a) once a week

b) every day

c) every month

d) never

4. The word "regularly" means

a) never

b) often

c) quickly

d) slowly

5. What is the main idea?

a) Reading has many benefits.

b) Reading is difficult.

c) Videos are better.

d) Books are expensive.

 

4. ERROR IDENTIFICATION

Choose the incorrect sentence.

1.  

a) She studies every day.

b) They are playing.

c) He don't like pizza.

d) We live in Colombia.

 

2.  

a) I was reading.

b) She went home.

c) They goed to school.

d) We watched TV.

 

3.  

a) You should study.

b) She can swim.

c) He musts arrive early.

d) They will travel.

 

5. MIXED

Choose the correct answer.

1. If I have time, I ______ you.

a) help

b) will help

c) helped

d) helping

2. My mother ______ dinner now.

a) cooks

b) is cooking

c) cooked

d) cook

3. Yesterday we ______ to the museum.

a) go

b) gone

c) went

d) going

4. She is the ______ student in the class.

a) intelligent

b) more intelligent

c) most intelligent

d) intelligently

5. Students ______ be respectful.

a) should

b) could

c) might

d) can

6. There aren't ______ apples.

a) some

b) much

c) any

d) little

7. We ______ visit our grandparents next weekend.

a) are going to

b) will going

c) go

d) going

8. She has ______ friends than her brother.

a) many

b) more

c) much

d) most

9. The opposite of increase is

a) improve

b) reduce

c) build

d) create

10.             Which sentence is correct?

a) He don't study.

b) She doesn't likes English.

c) They are studying now.

d) I am play soccer.

 

Final

Write a short paragraph (80–100 words).

Topic:

"How can education change a person's future?"

Include:

  • Present Simple
  • Future (will or be going to)
  • At least 5 vocabulary words from today's lesson
  • One modal verb (should, can, must, might)